Sign Up for our Email Newsletter
Contributors & Supporters
- Elizabeth Cady Stanton Foundation »
- Friends of Womens Rights National Park »
- National Trust for Historic Preservation »
- National Register of Historic Places »
- Canandaigua National Bank »
- Quakers In the News »
- National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom »
- National Collaborative of Women's History Sites »
- Landmark Society of Western
New York »
- Rochester Area Community Foundation »
- John G. Waite Associates, architects »
- Clear Path Studios »
- Preservation League of New York State »
- New York State Council on the Arts »
- Chace Fund, Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of Friends »
Shop for Museums
Register under 1816 Farmington Quaker Meetinghouse. A percentage of every purchase you make will go to the meetinghouse restoration project.
Meetinghouse Address160 County Road 8
P. O. Box 25053
Farmington, New York 14425
Link to Google Maps »
MAY 21 SATURDAY 1:00 P.M. Fatzinger Hall, Waterloo Library and Historical Society, 31 E Williams St, Waterloo
BULLIS a play about Macedon native and Quaker John Lapham Bullis, who enlisted in the Civil War, led black troops and later led the Seminole-Negro Indian Scouts. Written and produced by Macedonians. FIRST PERFORMANCE. 1816 FQMM is a co-sponsor.
JUNE 19, SUNDAY, Fathers Day. Farmington Quaker Meetinghouse Museum
Pathways Through History, I Love NY has designated Father’s Day, June 19, 2016, as NYS History Day for Pathways Through History Program. Open house at the 1816 Meetinghouse, 230 Sheldon Road, Farmington
JUNE 25, SATURDAY Granger Homestead, 295 N. Main St., Canandaigua. 4-6 P.M.
Joint 200th Anniversary Celebration with Granger Homestead. FQMM Board Member Tara Sandle, an employee at Granger, will describe the historical connections between the two institutions, focusing on the Granger Place School for girls, founded in 1876 by Caroline Comstock, a member of the Meetinghouse and descendant of a founding family. The event will include a presentation, displays from the school and a tour of the facility.
JULY 27-28, WEDNESDAY and THURSDAY 7-9 P.M., Wood Library, 134 N. Main St., Canandaigua
Women’s Suffrage: Ken Burns’ Not for Ourselves Alone. A two-night screening of Parts One and Two of Burns’ Not for Ourselves Alone, featuring two historians who appear o[en in the film; Judith Wellman and Sally Wagner. They will introduce and lead “Q and A” discussion afterwards. Co-sponsor by the Wood Library.
AUGUST 25, THURSDAY 7 P.M. Wood Library, 134 N. Main St., Canandaigua
Contemporary Slavery: Robert Bilheimer’s Not My Life. A screening, followed by Q and A with director, of “Not My Life,” Robert Bilheimer, that documents human trafficking in five continents. Bilheimer, president of Worldwide Documentaries in Bloomfield, will introduce film and discuss his social documentaries.
SEPTEMBER 21, WEDNESDAY, 7 P.M., Farmington Friends Church, 187 County Road 8,
Farmington Refugees and Migration Panel presentation on settled refugees and incoming refugees being resettled now: Rev. Debbie Bennett Reynolds, Associate Pastor and Hkadin Lee, Refugee Outreach Coordinator, Lake Ave. Bap/st Church, and Jim Morris, and/or Lisa Hoyt, current and incoming Directors of Refugee Resettlement at Catholic Family Services, lead agency for refugee resettlement in the area.
OCTOBER 21-23, FRIDAY, SATURDAY and SUNDAY,
200th Anniversary of the Farmington Quaker Meetinghouse. This will be a weekend of celebration of the 1816 Meetinghouse’s 200 years of history and a look towards its next 200 years. Numerous events, including a performance of Bullis, and talk by Frieda Jacques, Onondaga Clan Mother. Watch for updates!
In this 3 minute video, volunteers explain why they support the meetinghouse project.
Here is a 3 minute video of the November 10, 2013 check presentation from the Preservation League of New York.
•July 20. “King of the Underground Railroad.” Meet Rev. Jermain Loguen, a.k.a. Robert Djed Snead, who was born in slavery and kept the main Underground Railroad station in Syracuse. Farmington Friends Meetinghouse, 187 County Road 8, Farmington, 2:00 p.m. Co-sponsored with the Rochester and Monroe County Freedom Trail Commission.
•August 24. “Harriet Tubman: From Maryland to Upstate N.Y.” Dr. Kate Clifford Larson, highlights Tubman’s importance to the nation and the world. Farmington Friends Meetinghouse, 187 County Road 8, Farmington, 2:00 p.m. Co-sponsored with the Harriet Tubman Home.
•August 29. “Bayard Rustin and the 1963 March on Washington.” Find out how Bayard Rustin, a gay African American Quaker, profoundly influenced the U.S. civil rights movement. 7:00 p.m. Victor Town Hall.
•September 26. “’For God and Home and Native Land’: Haudenosaunee and the Woman’s Christian Temperance Union.” Thomas J. Lappas, Nazareth College, presents two Onondaga women who helped form branches of the Woman’s Christian Temperance Union in Native American communities. Nazareth College, Shults Community Center, 4245 East Avenue, Rochester, 7:00 p.m. Co-sponsored with Ganondagan Historic Site.
•October 12. “Boss Billy, Mr. Smith, and Honest Abe: How New York Acquired the Emancipation Proclamation.” Help us celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation of 1863, a step toward the complete abolition of slavery in the U.S. Paul Mercer will bring a facsimile of the only copy of the Emancipation Proclamation in Lincoln’s own handwriting. 2:00 p.m., Farmington Quaker Meetinghouse, 187 County Road 8, Farmington.
Sponsored with a grant from the New York Council on the Humanities
- Saturday, May 19
- No Freedom Shrieker Letters to Macedon from a Civil War Soldier
- Katie Aldridge, author, No Freedom Shrieker
- Location: Macedon Academy, 1185 Macedon Center Rd, Macedon Center, N.Y.
- Open House 1:00 – 4:30 / Talk at 1:30 — Free and open to everyone
- Co-sponsors: 1816 Farmington Mtghouse, Macedon Hist. Soc., Wayne Co. Historian’s Ofc., Macedon’s Books, et al
- Saturday, July 7
- Frederick Douglass, “What to the Slave is the 4th of July?”
- David Anderson, Nazareth College Location: Farmington Friends Meetinghouse, 187 County Road 8, Farmington
- Open House 1:00 – 4:30 / Talk at 1:30pm — Free and open to everyone
- Co-sponsored w/Rochester and Monroe County Freedom Trail Commission
- Saturday, August 4
- Human Trafficking at Home & Abroad
- Cindy Dyer, Vital Voices Global PartnershipLocation: Nazareth College, Shults Community Ctr., 4245 East Ave., Rochester
- Talk at 1:30 – 3:30 — Free and open to everyone
- Co-sponsored w/Peace & Social Services Committee of the Farmington Friends Meeting, Sisters of St Joseph, andEmpowerment Sisters of Mercy Justice Group
- Saturday, August 25
- Faith & Politics The spiritual journeys of Amy Post, A Celebration of Women’s Equality Day
- Nancy Hewitt, Rutgers University
- Location: Farmington Friends Meetinghouse, 187 County Road 8, Farmington
- Tours of the 1816 Meetinghouse 1:00 – 4:30 / Talk at 1:30Free and open to everyone
- Thursday, Sept. 20
- Land & Identity: Seneca and Quaker Perspectives on the Controversial Treaties of 1838 and 1842
- Peter Jemison (Seneca, Heron Clan), Ganondagan State Historic Site Manager
- Judith Wellman, Colgate University
- Jamie Jacobs and Terry Abrams,Tonawanda Senecas
- Location: Nazareth College, Shults Community Ctr, 4245 East Ave., Rochester
- When: 7:00-9:00 p.m.
- Co-sponsors: Friends of Ganondagan w/Center for Service-Learning & Dept of Religious Studies, Nazareth College
If you see a large old Quaker Meetinghouse being moved sedately across a field and road in Farmington, New York, don’t be alarmed. Saved from demolition by a group of concerned citizens five years ago, the 1816 Farmington Quaker Meetinghouse will be moved to its new home at 230 Sheldon Road on November 9, 2011.
The public is invited to a ceremony to celebrate this once-in-a-lifetime event at Farmington Friends Meetinghouse, 187 County Road 8, at 11:00 o’clock. Peter Jemison, Historic Site Manager of Ganondagan, will open our program with a traditional Haudenosaunee thanksgiving ceremony. Drive to the Friends Meetinghouse along Sheldon Road, to avoid crossing the intersection with County Road 8. (From exit 44 on the Thruway, travel south on Route 332, turn east on Route 96, north on County Road 8, east on Holtz Road, and north on Sheldon Road.)
Built to hold 1000 people, the 1816 Farmington Quaker Meetinghouse is most likely the largest frame pre-Erie Canal building in western New York. It regularly hosted Quakers from all over western New York; Ontario, Canada; and Michigan until its sale in 1927 to a local farmer, who moved it 325 feet down the road to its current home on County Road 8.
In February 2006, a windstorm blew the east wall off the Meetinghouse. A group of local citizens made a heroic effort to preserve and restore this structure. Part of the long-range plan involves moving the building from its current privately owned site to a new home across the road.
The 1816 Farmington Quaker Meetinghouse is nationally important for its role in movements for equal rights for women, African Americans, and Native Americans. The country’s first women’s rights convention, held at Seneca Falls, New York, in July 1848, would not have occurred without support from these Quakers. Farmington became an active site for abolitionist organizing and Underground Railroad activity. Seneca people came to this Meetinghouse in June 1840, forging an alliance with Quakers nationally to save some of the lands officially lost under the fraudulent Treaty of Buffalo Creek, preventing a “trail of tears” for the Seneca such as that suffered by the Cherokee who were forced to move west.
Famous Americans such as Frederick Douglass, William Wells Brown, and the Edmondson sisters—all African Americans who escaped from slavery—spoke and lived in Farmington. Nationally important women’s rights leaders such as Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Lucretia Mott, and Susan B. Anthony spoke in Farmington. Seneca leaders such as Jimmy Jemison, Seneca White, Daniel Two Guns, Samuel Gordon and Cayuga Peter Wilson met with Quakers from Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, and Genesee in the Farmington Meetinghouse.
Reflecting its national significance, the 1816 Farmington Quaker Meetinghouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the National Park Service’s Network to Freedom, and is a member of the National Collaborative of Women’s History Sites and the International Coalition of Sites of Conscience.
Funders include New York State’s Environmental Protection Fund, the National Park Service’s Network to Freedom, the Rochester Area Community Foundation, and many private individuals and foundations. The Preservation League of New York State and Canandaigua National Bank have made this project possible through bridge loans. Architects for this project are John G. Waite Associates from Albany, New York. Movers are Wolfe Brother Movers from Bern, Pennsylvania.
Donations of all sizes are most welcome and may be sent to:
1816 Farmington Quaker Meetinghouse
P.O. Box 25053
Farmington, New York 14425
For more information, call Judith Wellman, Coordinator, 315-598-4387 (cell 315-529-7808); Helen Kirker, President, 585-526-6897; Lyle Jenks, 585-393-0037; or Bill Brandow, John G. Waite Associates, 518-449-5440. Website: www.farmingtonmeetinghouse.org.
Here are a few photos of our lovely Open House and groundbreaking ceremony this weekend. Special thanks to Austin Steward, reincarnated by Dr. David Anderson, and to representatives from the Town of Farmington (Peter Ingalsbe, Deputy Supervisor; Tim Mickelson, Supervisor; and Michelle Finley, Clerk), to Barbara Popenhusen, Clerk, Trustees of Farmington Friends Meeting (which donated this land), and Tania Werbizsky, Canandaigua National Bank, Preservation League of New York State (which helped this project move forward with a bridge loan). We could not have done this without all of you! Many thanks for helping to make this such a success!